Every two years AHES awards a prize to promote excellence in research by Australasian health economists. The inaugural prize was awarded in 2009.
Past winners of the prize are:
- 2017 - Jacobi L, Sovinsky M (2016) "Marijuana on Main Street? Estimating demand in markets with limited access." American Economic Review, Volume 106, Issue 8, pages 2009-2045.
- 2015 - Hahn, Y “The effect of Medicaid physician fees on take-up of public health insurance among children in poverty.” Journal of Health Economics, Volume 32, Issue 2, March 2013, Pages 452-462.
- 2013 - Meliyanni Johar, Glenn Jones, Michael Keane, Elizabeth Savage and Olena Stavrunova,“Waiting times for elective surgery and the decision to buy private health insurance.” Health Economics 20 Suppl 1: 68-86
- 2011 - David W. Johnston, Carol Propper, Michael A. Shields, Comparing subjective and objective measures of health: Evidence from hypertension for the income/health gradient; Journal of Health Economics; Volume 28, Issue 3, May 2009, Pages 540–552.
- 2009 - Denise Doiron, Glenn Jones, and Elizabeth Savage, Healthy, wealthy and insured? The role of self-assessed health in the demand for private health insurance. Health Economics Volume 17, Issue 3, pages 317–334, March 2008.